Thursday, June 3, 2010

I'm here

I flew early Tuesday to Dallas then Atlanta & met up with my teammates in the airport. We stayed in downtown Atlanta at a safe house, headed to the airport at 3:30 am Texas time, and got to Haiti around 4:30pm. As the plane flew over Port-au-prince I could see the blue tarps from tent communities spread in many locatios, it was strange. The airport was caotic! A yellow dog bus picked us up & took us to our hotel for the night. I could have driven for hours around Haiti just watching the people & looking at scenery. There is so much natural beauty here surround by so much trash & poverty.

I learned that our team of 45 is broken into 5 teams & we will be working at one specific location the entire month. My team, a group of 10, will be staying here in Port-au-prince. There is a local pastor we will be working with who reaches several tent communities, totaling over 20,000 in number, which is a little overwhelming. There is also an orphanage we will be helping at & doing some light construction. We will be staying at the pastor house & probably not sleeping in our tents, which surprisingly I am bummed about. As most of you know, I'm a mess & trying to keep things organized in 2 backpacks is hard work, especially when there are other people in your room & you need something from the bottom of the bag! However, there is another team who will be setting up tent on a concrete slab & one girl did not bring a sleeping pad, so I have volunteered mine to her, I know she is thankful!

I tried to upload pics as I know a blog with out is a little boring, but to no avail. I will try to post something at least once a week if not twice to give some more interesting stories.........

No comments:

Post a Comment